5th Penplusbytes Global Online Course in ICT Journalism ( 13th September to 13th December 2013)
13th September to 13th December 2013
Duration: 4 months
Penplusbytes' innovative global course in ICT Journalism provides a unique online training opportunity for journalists in the exciting area of ICT Journalism. Participants will be exposed to the wider context of ICTs assisted journalism including how these technologies are impacting on the world of journalism, how to harness the power of ICTs in producing high quality impactful stories, and how to manage change process in using innovative ICT tools. This course provides skills and knowledge within a practical interactive learning environment with the main goal of strengthening capabilities in both multimedia and online news production while increasing understanding of the rapid changing environment in newsroom operations due to opportunities and challenges Information and communication Technologies revolution brings. After successfully completing the course, each participant should be able to produce and implement a variety of creative solutions for online news operations.
Course Description and Goals
At the end of the course, the participants will learn five main sets of skills and knowledge
• You will learn and understand the broad spectrum of ICT tools changing the face of journalism
• You will learn how to research and publish content online
• You will learn how to leverage the power of social media in news settings
• You will learn that despite the proliferation of technology for journalism the fundamental principles of journalism still apply.
• You will learn to undertake digital story telling
The course is divided into 6 modules:
1. ICT Journalism – concept, theory and definition, online production, social media, content management system, online newsroom management and publishing platforms
2. The role of information and knowledge management in the newsroom
3. Writing for the web and online research
4. Online Security
5. Data Journalism and Visualization
6. Business Models of Online Journalism
This course does not have any special prerequisites though participants will need to have basic computer skills such as sending and receiving mails, managing files and browsing the Internet. The course assumes participants are practicing journalists who have mastered journalism skills. Applicants should exhibit a passion for news, interest in the use of technology for the improvement of journalism and speak and write fluently in English.
Participants are expected to meet online via group discussion weekly, it is expected that each participant must devote at least five hours per week online.
Participants will be provided with regular resources throughout the duration of the course, these resources will mostly be available online.
Participants are expected to undertake weekly assignments, participate in online discussions, create and publish content using ICT tools and produce a final project work to be published on www.penplusbytes.org
All participants who complete the course successfully would be awarded a certificate.
• Closing date for receipt of application and statement is 20th August 2013
2. Letter of Motivation (250-300) explaining how this course will contribute to your professional growth and development; how you plan to implement knowledge and skills gained from the course and strategies of sharing knowledge and skills with members of your organization.
3. CV send via email to training AT Penplusbytes.org
4. Letter of consent from your editor or supervisor, send via email to training AT Penplusbytes.org
For more information send an email to training AT penplusbyes.org