The Second National ICT Awards 2008 would be held on May 17, 2008 as the world celebrates World Telecommunications Day and Information Society Day, the Ministry of Communications announced last Friday.
A statement issued in Accra said the awards reinforced the commitment of the government of Ghana to place emphasis on the potential of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to provide a foundation for building an information and knowledge society within the overall framework of its ICT policy for accelerated development, as driver and enabler, within the three-pronged GPRS II development strategy.
The statement said the procedure to nominate a company or an individual, was to go to www.ghanaictawards.com and select as many nominee as possible
There are two category types - competitive, which has 10 awards and non-competitive, which has two awards. Awards in the Competitive Category are:
1. Top ICT Personality of the year
2. Top ISP of the year
3. Top Mobile service of the year
4. Top Software Company of the year
5. Top Hardware Company of the year
6. Top ICT4D Project of the year
7. Top Government ICT Project of the year
8. Top Education/Training ICT Institution of the year
9. Top Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) of the year
10. Top Internet Café of the year.
The awards in the Non-Competitive Category are:
1. Best Foreign entity Supporting ICT Development in Ghana
2. Best ICT incubate/young personality.
The statement said winners would be entered into African Achievers Award to be held in South Africa.